Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Dressing the Chest of Toys

I once returned the destiny of a toy chest I found in a free pile, back to a free pile. Little did I know that this moment of decluttering would upset the universe, impregnate my sister's fertile womb, and leave my family without a perfectly good chest to put miniature people's toys in.

It took 4 years, but this past Christmas, I rectified this situation. Here's how it all went down.

First step - craigslist. App. 1 week left until Christmas.

This adorable bench/toy chest caught my eye immediately, and luck would have it that it was still available. It is bigger than the one I freed, and doubles as a bench. Awesome.



Sanding off the adorable Noah's Ark scene came first, which I found to be emotionally actually quite hard; to deface what I imagine is some sweet little old lady's work, not simply because of what I can only imagine to be true, but also that (assumably) she did a fine job of adhering her image on this chest I imagine her little old husband built. Of which, I am hoping she/they can rest soundly knowing that the previous (and possibly intended) children enjoyed for many years. It's purpose for them was well served.  For that, I thanked her many times in the process and am here on the interweb showing my gratefulness and appreciation for her art and thoughtfulness.


For it's new life, the chest called to me to for a change, a new look, a makeover indeed. I washed it up and sketched out it's new "outlook." The shape instructed and inspired the new image.

I have been experimenting with metal leaf, the more economical version of gold leaf, but hadn't yet had the pleasure of trying it on wood. There was a little experimenting on the back and then throwing myself into it, only to have it not behave as it did on the reverse.

toy chest project by Lauren T Kistner©2014 Lauren T Kistner Arts, All rights reserved.


This was not a deterrent, though a little frustrating at first. The hap-hazard way it chose to adhere gave it areas of interest that would not have happened if it had gone on smoothly.

toy chest project by Lauren T Kistner©2014 Lauren T Kistner Arts, All rights reserved.

I filled my house with metal leaf flakes. Every time the doves flew in the cage a gentle snowing of flecks of gold fell about the house. The vacuum collection tube has never been prettier. 

toy chest project by Lauren T Kistner©2014 Lauren T Kistner Arts, All rights reserved.

Starting work on the waves gave me some respite from leafing. 

toy chest project by Lauren T Kistner©2014 Lauren T Kistner Arts, All rights reserved.

Getting closer. 

©2014 Lauren T Kistner Arts, All rights reserved.

Sun scene complete, work on the sides commences. 

toy chest project by Lauren T Kistner©2014 Lauren T Kistner Arts, All rights reserved.

Getting closer still. Countdown to Christmas - 2 days. I'm going to make it! 

toy chest project by Lauren T Kistner©2014 Lauren T Kistner Arts, All rights reserved.

A little more line work and the letters of my niece and nephew's first names adhered to the sides. 

toy chest project by Lauren T Kistner©2014 Lauren T Kistner Arts, All rights reserved.
All done, all done! 

Completed and sealed just in time for Christmas. My mother placed it in her living room where she could watch it glow from many angles in her house. Together we filled it up with toys that my sister and I used to play with for the Grand babies. It fit perfectly into the gap between the windows, next to the little old wooden musical rocking chair that her mother had gotten her when she was a child. (Side note: the rocking chair cost $10 at the time, Grandma put it on layaway paying $0.50 a month until she could bring it home.) Then my mother dug out her tiny wooden children's desk and chair that we recovered from the school that she and her brother attended, before they tore it down years ago. I can get carried away in all the stories.

Guess what? Now I am addicted. You can look forward to more projects like this one from me. Until then, I will wish you a joyous and successful new year, filled with imagination, adventure, line, color, and texture.














No comments:

Post a Comment