Sunday, March 23, 2014

Air Studio Progress Week 2 The spleen

For your enjoyment, I have started on an organ that is revered and reviled, tormented and cherished, and sometimes removed. 

Day 1
5 hours (not including sketch time)
©2014 Lauren T Kistner, Spleen Wip
The spleen is the mighy-unvital organ. 

©2014 Lauren T Kistner, Spleen Wip, watercolor
The spleen is a filtering system for the blood as well as a reserve for extra blood. 

©2014 Lauren T Kistner, Spleen Wip, watercolor & ink
Over the years many people have associated the spleen with negative emotions, - poor thing has a bad reputation. When someone is venting the spleen it is a reference for a vituperative outburst, Shakespeare tagged the term the spleeny Lutheran, and women who were in a bad mood were thought to be suffering from the "vapours" caused by this little physiologically and anatomically unobtrusive tiny fist shaped guy.  I would like breathe new shiney life it- so it can leave all the grey behind. 
Day 2
3 1/2 hours
©2014 Lauren T Kistner, Spleen Wip, watercolor & ink
I see your true colors shining through, I see your true colors - and that's why I love you. So don't be afraid to let it shoooooow..... True colors........ You're very welcome on that earworm.  

Day 3
 1 1/2 hours

©2014 Lauren T Kistner, Spleen Wip, watercolor & ink. www.laurentkistner.com
Getting closer!  

Day 4 
Completion! 
3 1/2 hours
©2014 Lauren T Kistner, Spleen Wip, watercolor & ink, www.laurentkistner.com
It's a spleen! Bright and happy and working hard for a body near you!
Now it just needs a catchy name. Any suggestions? 

Lets all join together and think positive thoughts for our spleens, and perhaps they won't strip our blood of iron over working for us when we are stressed and leave us anemic.  


©2014 Lauren T Kistner, BIRD WIP, ink

I also managed to get a start on my newest of newest series, mini maps "ode to Portlandia" where I will be putting a bird on it. Lots of birds. On Portland. Yup. 

First Thursday is coming up fast - I hope to complete my next map piece before the residency is over. I will keep you posted on "Fresh Mountain Air" in next week's blog.  

www.laurentkistner.com
©2014 Lauren T Kistner, all rights reserved. 

Have yourselves an excellent weekend my friends! Thank you for stopping by! 





No comments:

Post a Comment